Universal Credit Benefits

| 10th October, 2017

Universal Credit Benefits



Our benefits system is changing, do you know how it will affect you?


With the introduction of Welfare Reform legislation, Universal Credit is being rolled out as the main means tested benefit for adults of working age. To be entitled to Universal Credit, you must be aged 18 or over and be under State Pension age.

Universal Credit will replace:

·         Income support

·         Income based jobseeker’s allowance

·         Income related employment and support allowance

·         Housing benefit

·         Child tax credit

·         Working tax credit

Universal Credit will be introduced for new claims across Northern Ireland in stages from September 2017 to September 2018. If you currently receive any of the six benefits listed above, you will be transferred to Universal Credit between July 2019 and March 2022.

However, if your circumstances change after Universal Credit has been introduced in your area, you may move to Universal Credit at that time.

The new benefit system will include support for the cost of housing, children and childcare, as well as financial support for disabled people, carers and people who are too ill to work.

Who to ask about your benefits

Your nearest Social Security or Jobs & Benefits office will help you with any questions relating to your specific needs. You can search for your nearest officer at:



Useful Contacts

Advice NI

Rushfield Avenue



Telephone: 028 9064 5919

Email: [email protected]


Independent Welfare Changes Helpline

0808 802 0020


The Appeals Service (NI)

PO Box 2202



Telephone: 028 9054 4000

Email: [email protected]


Get in Touch

If you would like to speak to other parents from Northern Ireland that have been in your position and can offer some non-medical advice.

By Phone By Email